Rewind life to one year ago, November 2013: That month, four months pregnant, I decided it would be a good time to commit to running the Savannah Rock n Roll Half Marathon in November 2014. I quickly recruited Patrick, my youngest brother and former highschool running buddy, to join me on this adventure. Registration opened up on March 14th... Patrick registered us as I literally gave birth to Eli. Had I known what our October and November 2014 would look like (a husband working 14 hour days, 6 days/week, no consistent childcare for my long runs, and moving into a new house five days before race day) I would have backed out then. But I like to think I am a woman of my word so I stuck with it. I ran most days pushing at least one child in the stroller, if not both of them. I would get up early on Angel's days off and complete my long runs. Most days I thought I was crazy. Some days the runs helped ease the stress of moving. Other days trying to find time to run caused the stress. But all and all November 8th approached and on a very cold day in Savannah I hit my personal record. I never knew that my fifth half marathon (and first since having children!) would be my best time. I guess I can thank my children for helping me build my tolerance by training with an extra fifty pounds most days! Running by myself was (sort of) a breeze :)
I am so proud of Patrick and myself. This was Patrick's first half marathon and he did GREAT! We had planned to run the whole thing together but of course I had to use the restroom (children will do that to you) at mile three. A longer then expected wait for the porta-jons put me several minutes behind Patrick and I was never able to catch up. My official time was 2:10 but I allow myself to say I completed it in 2:06 since I stood in line for at least 4 minutes.
I am already thinking of my next goal...
The Starting Line from Corral Number 13
We were so grateful to have both Natalie and Angel there cheering us on!
No comments:
Post a Comment